Cookies on this website

We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you click 'Accept all cookies' we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies and you won't see this message again. If you click 'Reject all non-essential cookies' only necessary cookies providing core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility will be enabled. Click 'Find out more' for information on how to change your cookie settings.

The information on this page is for staff based in the UK and not covered by AAP travel insurance.

The University provides Travel Insurance for University employees, students and volunteers travelling within the UK or worldwide on University business. 

Before undertaking travel, please follow the steps outlined in the guidance below. Your travel insurance application will need to go through the online system TIRS.

Travel Insurance applications should be submitted as soon as possible and at least 2 weeks before the trip for low/medium risk or at least 6 weeks if high risk (to allow time to review/amend the application, and seek approvals).

Risk Assessment

Complete the University’s travel and fieldwork risk assessment form. Send to to arrange Business Manager approval for low or medium risk or Unit Director approval for high risk travel.

Online insurance application checklist

Ensure you include the following with your travel insurance submission:

  • Traveller details
  • Trip details (funding code/group is essential). Use additional information if necessary
  • Itinerary: mode of transport, travel reference, from/to city & dates
  • Accommodation: hotel name, city, phone number & email
  • List of personal Items
  • Emergency details & next of kin
  • Attachments:
    • Passport
    • E-tickets
    • Accommodation confirmation
    • Reason for travel (invitation letter/email) (where applicable)
    • Correspondence with the Safety Office and HoD (where high risk)
    • University Risk Assessment: You can find the level of risk for your destination by visiting the UK government's Foreign Travel Advice web page.
      • Low risk: complete just section 1. Required signatures: traveller, supervisor and Business Manager.
      • Medium risk: complete section 1 & 2. Required signatures: traveller, supervisor and Business Manager.
      • High risk: complete section 1,2 & 3. Required signatures: traveller, supervisor, Safety Office, Unit Director and HoD.


Note that if you are travelling to a low risk country but the specific area is medium or high risk then we treat the risk assessment as medium or high risk accordingly. You should also take into account the nature of the activity that you will be undertaking while travelling. If the activity that you are undertaking is high risk then treat as such on the risk assessment and include the precautions that you are taking. If travelling to a high-risk country consider:

  • The HoD will need to consider the academic need for the trip so this should be included in your form.
  • Have you been there before, do you know the area and local situation?
  • Do you have a host that is familiar with the area and the journeys you will be taking?  Are they aware of any security incidents recently?
  • What security intelligence is your host linked in to?  Will your host provide you with a security briefing on arrival?
  • Have you signed up for UK government travel alerts?
  • Do you have a name, phone number and photo of the person meeting you at the airport so you can be sure of their identity?
  • If travelling overland, what arrangements are in place in the event of breaking down?
  • Coronavirus (COVID-19): Safety Office updates and advice (accessible via SSO)
  • Where research involves in-person interactions with research participants CUREC guidelines should be followed.

Travelling during COVID-19

Check the status of the country/area you are travelling to on the government website.


University travel insurance only covers time spent on University business, plus small amounts of incidental personal time (e.g. between meetings, evenings, weekends after a meeting has taken place).

If the trip includes any non-incidental personal time or personal travel, these parts will not be covered and travellers are encouraged to obtain their own insurance for these sections of their trip. Even if your return flight is booked via the University it may not be covered if it is a significant length of time after your University business has finished.


It is strongly advised that travellers completing a travel risk assessment complete the following short online training - Fieldwork and overseas travel risk assessment for fieldworkers and travellers.

Useful links when completing a risk assessment

Other Useful Links


On this page