The Myanmar Oxford Clinical Research Unit
MOCRU is a new tropical medicine research organisation formed as an extension of the medical research activities of the University of Oxford in Southeast Asia. The unit is based in Yangon under the leadership of Professor Frank Smithuis.
The unit focuses on the areas of:
- malaria prevention, pathophysiology, diagnosis and treatment including artemisinin resistance and the prevention of its spread,
- diagnosis, pathophysiology, treatment and prevention of other infectious diseases including tuberculosis, typhus, typhoid, dengue, melioidosis,
- the burden, aetiology, pathogenesis, treatment and prevention of CNS and respiratory infections,
- improvement of maternal and child and reproductive health, and
- other high priority issues selected in cooperation with the MoH.